Since the first electricity motor was invented in 1821 by Michael Faraday, life has become incredibly reliant on electricity to do almost everything. Most people would really have a hard time without electricity from not being able to keep their meals fresh or cook them to not being able to keep themselves warm or wash their clothing. Electricity has a myriad of roles in our lifestyle hence life literally stops in case of lack of it. How the do you manage in case of an emergency? What is the perfect plan B?
Portable generators are all you need to invest in to keep life moving on. It’s important to note that, they are not just for emergencies but can be used on day to day basis to perform various functions from powering the tools on a construction site to providing entertainment during camping. They are the ideal source of reliable power wherever you need it.
View the top deals on portable generators here
Shopping for the perfect portable generator in an overwhelmingly rich market can be very daunting considering no two generators are the same. They differ in terms of features, limitations, durability, capabilities, and price. There are also several places you can go to get the best deals on portable generators such as Amazon.
A lot of research is required when analyzing the features and functionality of each recommended generator. All this can be very tedious and time consuming especially when one is working on a specific budget and requirements. To help you easily select the ideal generator for you, I reviewed the top five portable generators to guide you in making the smart choice.
Five Affordable Portable Generators
Top 1000-Watt 2-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator
The All-Power America APGG series of portable generators has models ranging from 1200 watts to 10,000watts.Its possible to get a portable generator to meet any of your needs. The All Power America APG3004D Gas Powered Portable Generator has 1000 running watts/1200 starting watts and is perfect for light use including use in coffee makers, small tools at jobsite, cabins or campsites and compact size runs light. It can run for 8.5 hours when loaded with 1.2 gallons of fuel hence it is safe to say it’s easy on the gas.
- It has attached rubber feet to help reduce crawling and vibrations.
- It has a circuit breaker to protect the equipment and generator from overload.
- 2-stroke air-cooled single cylinder engine
- 1.2 gallons full tank
- 8.5 hours run time at 50% load
- 1200 starting watts and 1,000 running watts
- Integrated 12V, 15 peak Amp DC trickle charge battery
- It has a charger complete with cables
- It has noise levels below 68 decibels
- A rated voltage outlets of 115V, 60hz, 6.5 Amp
- Fuel efficient
- Relatively quiet
- Non-CARB compliant
- Limited application because of the low power
Best Portable Generator to Buy
The PowerPro 56101 2-Stroke Generator is a very convenient lightweight generator perfect whenever you need limited electrical power. It is easily portable and can be used anywhere. It is also very fuel efficient being able to run for 8.5 hours on 1.2 gallons of fuel at 50% load capacity. It is ideal for use while camping to power the appliances and lights. It is also CARB and EPA compliant/
- 1,200 starting watts and up to 900 continuous watts
- 1.2 gallons fuel tank capacity
- It has 8.5 hours running capability on 50% load capacity
- It has two 1200 Volt AC outlets And one 12 Volts DC outlets
- It has a low oil indicator
- It is equipped with a recoil start system
- It is very compact and weighs at 37.5lbs which makes it very easy and manageable to carry around.
- It comes with 12 Volt trickle charge
- It has a 1 year limited warranty
- It is lightweight and very portable
- It is pretty quiet with only 65DB noise when running
- It is fuel efficient
- It is inexpensive
- It’s convenient coming with a 12v trickle charger to charge your car battery.
- It has limited applications due to its power output
- Its user manual can be very confusing
Top Deal in Portable Generators
The Pulsar PG1202S Generator is a portable generator that comes with a carrying handle that makes it extremely portable. It can supply 900 watts of continuous power while being able to surge up to 1000 watts. It has a fuel efficient capacity of 1gallons which can run for five hours at 50 % capacity load. It ideal for camping, backup source at home or to power tools at a job site.
- It is very light weight weighing in at less than 36lbs.
- It uses an oil/gas fuel mixture for lubrication so there is no need for oil changes.
- It is quite producing only 60Db of sound and is certified for use in National parks.
- It can produce 900 watts of continuous power while being able to surge up to 1000 watts.
- It has a 1 gallon fuel tank which lets it run for 5 hours at 50% load capacity.
- It comes with a carrying handle for easy portability and has 4 rubber pads to stabilize it.
- It comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
- It is CARB and EPA compliant.
- Comes with battery charging cables.
- It is very affordable
- It is fuel efficient
- It is very portable because of its lightweight
- It is very convenient
- Handle and pull start hub mechanism are made of lightweight plastic material hence can easily break.
Best 1500-Watt Portable Generator under $200
The Champion Power Equipment 42436 1500-Watt Portable Generator is a lightweight portable generator providing 1200 Watts continuous power and 1500 watts power surge. It is the ideal generator that is small in size and portable and can easily power a few appliances at once. With 1.45 gallons fuel tank, it can run for 10 hours at half power. It can also act as a backup source of power, during camping trips and also for light jobs around the house.
- It is powered by an 80cc OHV engine
- It has the engine switch, voltmeter, ground terminal and circuit breaker located at the power panel.
- The circuit breaker protects the engine from overloading and it also has a spark arrestor to prevent sparks from escaping through the exhaust.
- It has an input of 120V 20Amp and an output of 120V
- It runs at 3600rpm to produce 60hertz electricity
- It is lightweight about 56lbs
- It runs for 10 hours on full tank of gas at 50% load
- It is CARB-California approved
- It is relatively quiet with 65Db at 7 meters
- It has a 2 year warranty
- It is good on gas
- It is easy to start
- It is lightweight and portable
- It is inexpensive
- It is safe and easy to use
- Some parts may flake off after sometime so be ready to replace them.
Top 2,000 Watt Portable Generator
The Sportsman GEN154 Portable Generator is the ideal choice whenever you need back up power on-the-go. It can reliably power common household appliances and tools when electricity is not available. This recoil-start generator can run for 11 hours with 50% load on 1.8 gallons of gasoline. It is perfect for tailgating parties, small camping or powering of tools in case of power outage.
- It delivers 2000surge watts and 1500 running watts
- It has a 2.8 HP engine
- It has a restart coil and circuit protection
- It has 1-12V DC outlet and 1-120V outlet
- It is EPA compliant
- It has a runtime of 11hours at 50% load
- It is powered by 87cc 4-stroke OHV engine
- It has a 1.8 gallon fuel tank with gasoline being the fuel type
- It comes with a 1 year warranty
Check out more portable generators on Amazon.com
Purchasing a generator should be a long-term investment and therefore one should put into consideration a lot of things before choosing one. They range from durability and reliability to convenience and price. The above portable generators are just some of those getting rave reviews from customers. However, before buying one, do your due diligence and go for the one within your budget and that meets your needs.